I don’t know about you, but I usually find any excuse to eat massive unhealthy amounts of food on the weekends. This puts me in a really bad cycle of: Eat semi-healthy during the week, eat & drink whatever I want on the weekends, feeling of guilt and gluttony, and then it restarts on Mondays with the attempt to eat healthy. I don’t hate it….
Well, since it’s Monday, I thought I would share one of the breakfast recipes I made for this week: Quinoa Egg Muffins. I don’t often have eggs during the week for breakfast, only because I always eat my breakfast at work. I tried to find a good egg recipe that would keep me full all morning, but that would also be easy to heat up and eat at work. I ended up making a version of Slender Kitchen’s recipe which mixes quinoa, egg whites, eggs, veggies and cheese and bake them in muffin tins.
The recipe goes as follows:
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Chopped Peppers & Mushrooms (can use any veggies)
- 1/2 Cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese (I think shredded cheddar would be really good, too)
- Many dashes of Franks Red Hot
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray muffin tins (about 7-8 muffin wells) with non-stick spray. [Her recipe called for lining and spraying pans… I would recommend opting out on the liners seeing as though some of my cupcake liners were a little difficult to peal off once the egg muffins were done]
- Whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Mix into that the veggies, cheese, hot sauce, and salt & pepper.
- Pour into the muffin tins that have been sprayed with non-stick spray
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until top is golden colored
Adapted from Slender Kitchen
These are so easy, low in calorie, and packed with protein making them a great breakfast to have on hand during the week.
Have a sweet day!